Wednesday, October 14, 2009

boycotts, unemployment, and little birds flying free

Between my current boycott of photography and having (hopefully temporarily) unreliable internet, I have been ignoring this blog thingy. In other words, it's hard to post when you have no pictures and no internet service.

I have been meaning to jot some things down (I know we don't really "jot" with computers, but I so like that phrase). Now that I sit down to do it, nothing really comes to mind, so I'll just post my meandering thoughts on employment, and my current employment status.

Still working.

Yes, that is correct. Still working. Seven weeks ago, I officially told my boss I quit. Right now, my boss is a little mad at me because I posted my job at DWS, interviewed like ten people, and on Friday, officially hired Jan. Without really asking for permission. In fact, he didn't even meet Jan until she had been at work for two hours. Jan is a wonderful person, wonderful in so many ways, but mostly because she has agreed to free me from the evil grasp of employment. I started training her on Monday. I'm hoping after a mere 4 to 5 days with me, she'll be like a baby bird ready to fly out on its own, because frankly, I'm ready to be done.

And now that I've shared with you how desperate I am to be done working, I'd like to share with you how desperately I am dreading spending my entire day with Elise. I love that girl so much. But honestly, two year old's are just not a lot of fun. She is so darn moody, and if you don't understand and repeat back to her word for freaking word what she has just told you, watch out, because you will hear about it. In depth. For like an hour. I am tired of the drama, and tantrums, and grazing. For pete's sake, why can't she just eat a meal and be done with it? I clean up her food and she has a complete coniption because she "wasn't done wif it". And always immediately after a meal, I inevitably hear the words I most dread to hear after a meal: "I'm hungry." WE JUST ATE. So glad I quit my job.

And now that I've gotten that out of my system I can move on to better things. There's nothing quite like a public rant. Luckily only like two people read this, so it's only quasi-public. The end.

4 comments:

  1. So Elise lives up to her namesake? j/k. I'm glad you get to quit your job, and I think it's awesome that you interviewed and hired and trained your replacement without asking your boss. Nice. And I don't think I could boycott taking pictures, but I have been thinking about what you said, and I am trying to enjoy the moments more than to document them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely not with you on the boycotting pictures thing, but totally with you on the enjoying the moment thing. I just don't think it has to be either/or.

    On the subject of employment...I would totally laugh if Jan ended up being your "co-worker" instead of your "replacement". It doesn't look like that boss of yours is keen on your leaving.

    Good luck with Elise. Perhaps we should trade two year olds for a day...we might come away feeling more grateful...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, you are being reeeeely nice to even place the ad and thoughtfully hire someone new. You interviewed 10 people? I would have been all, see ya and good luck!:) You're awesome.
    I'll be glad when you're finally done. maybe we can hang out on the mornings Lily has preschool.
    ps your rant about Elise is as refreshing as it is timeless. I think all of us have felt at moments that a few hours away would be bueno.

    ReplyDelete
  4. um...when do you want me to come take pictures?? I meant to discuss it with you at the Poe party but it left my brain, as important things so often do. I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete