Two nights ago, I developed this lovely little cold. Lots of congestion. Lots of sinus pressure. Very fun. I did nothing about it all day yesterday because medications rarely help, and they generally make me a little loopy or sleepy. I get "drugged" fairly easily. Last night, I decided to try a natural remedy to see if it would help at all.
I found this "cure" here . The only real variation I made was to stir in a bit of coconut oil because I keep hearing things about its great qualities, and I figured why not stir a little oil into my soup?
Here's the recipe:
1 small can tomato juice (I think 5 or 6 oz)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 clove garlic crushed or diced as finely as you can
red pepper or Tabasco, as much as you can handle
1/4 to 1/2 tsp coconut oil
I just nuke it for a couple of minutes until it is too hot to eat, then I breath it for a minute or two while it cools, then I eat it. And yes, I was previously aware that I am crazy. You should have seen the way Aaron looked at me when he saw me eating this.
So I ate this last night, and I could actually breath all night. I had more this morning for breakfast, and again for lunch. It's not a one shot instant thing, you have to eat it consistently for a while. Supposedly it can help you kick your cold faster than normal, while helping relieve your symptoms. While I admit, I'm not "cured," I have had not sinus pressure today, and I've been able to breath with ease. For me, this works much better than medicine, or at least it did this time. Or at least it has so far. I don't know. Could be a fluke I guess. I feel like 75% better than I did yesterday. I can't say 100%, because I still have a bit of a cold, but much less severe. I'm definitely going to keep eating it for a couple of days (not exclusively). Usually for me, colds linger forever, so to be feeling better the next day is very nice. I think the only side effect is that you'll have an aura of garlic for a while.
If you are seriously congested and seriously brave, I suggest you give it a whirl.
P.S. It tastes good to me, but not good enough to serve at a party, if you know what I mean.
MX Race in Mesquite
5 months ago
At least Tabasco is good for something. Blech.
ReplyDeleteIt actually doesn't sound that bad to me....maybe a little heavy on the garlic. By the way, I don't think you have the same thing as my kids, around here there is nothing but coughing!
ReplyDeleteThat is rad. I wish I'd had a remedy up my sleeve when I got sick. I felt so bad that it was all i could do to lay in bed and down the cold medicine. I need to tuck this one away so I have it for next time.
ReplyDelete