Friday, June 4, 2010

Frank's Best Sixth Year Party Ever

Birthday parties are a lot of work, primarily because I don't have the ability to filter ideas.  I spent way too many hours getting ready for Frank's party.  It was fun, but really?  Should I really spend so much time on such a silly thing?  Do six year olds really care?  I'm guessing not.

Here's what we did:
Each kid had a little Mario hat and a mushroom pouch to collect coins. Here's a picture of Ashton modeling his gear.
First, we rid the haunted living room of Boo ghosts. 
When they popped the ghosts, there were coins inside.

Then we played the Bob-omb game.  I guess I also forgot to take pictures of this game.  Lucky for me, Beka came and took some pictures, and I think she might have gotten some Bob-omb ones. Here's a picture of what a Bob-omb looks like, in case you are fully seeped in Mario culture.
I made a Bob-omb out of felt, and we played hot potato, except with Bob-omb.  Aaron made a track of music that would have an explosion sound every now and again, and whoever was holding the bomb when the explosion happened was out.  The kids seemed to really like it.

Next, we threw eggs at the wall.  I've been hollowing out eggs for weeks.  Then, I filled them with confetti, and each one had a star inside.  After they threw their egg at the wall, they would find the star, and get coins depending upon the color of the star.  A blue star was 3 coins, a red star was 2 coins, and green or gold was one coin.  This game was totally fun.  I could throw eggs at walls all day long.  I didn't really take any pictures though.  Oops.  Here's a picture of the target, though.  I think I'll be vacuuming up confetti for the rest of my life.

 Let's see, after that, we did the Mario pinata.  A couple of people have asked me if I was a little sad to see Mario beaten to death.  I have to say no.  I'm a functional kind of person, and that was Mario's function, after all.  It was kind of fun to see him beaten.  It turned out that Mario's Achilles heel was the little opening I used to put the candy in.  On future pinata's I'm going to reinforce that opening.
Once candy was starting to spill out, Aaron got to deal the final death blow.
Then the chaos began.
This picture is so funny to me...  Mario's bald destroyed head.  Surprisingly, his hat survived almost entirely intact.
Then we had cake and ice cream.  Here's a picture of the cake.
And that's about it.  It was super duper fun according to Frank.

3 comments:

  1. Fun fun fun. And now for Elise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bennett seconds the super duper fun. I think six-year-olds are capable of appreciating your effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a seriously awesome party. This reminds me I have some pictures for you.

    ReplyDelete