Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Gleaning...

I have peaches coming out my eyeballs.  Or at least that's what it feels like. 

Aaron and I went to glean peaches on Monday morning.  I was a little apprehensive about taking Frank there.  Those of you who know him know he can be very non-participatory, if you know what I mean.  I really wasn't in the mood to listen to him mope and complain, so it was with much apprehension that we woke him up at 7:30 Monday morning.

He proved me wrong.  He loved it.  Every peach he picked was accompanied by a shout of "Look at this big juicy peach I picked!"  He was into it. 

We ended up with close to ninety pounds of peaches, and I'm about half way through them right now.  I've primarily been freezing slices, but I've also made some sauces to freeze as well (like freezer jam, but no pectin or whatever).  We did strawberry sauce a while back and really loved the versatility (pancakes, ice cream, yogurt, etc), so I thought that would work well with peaches, too.

I also made a peach pie tonight.  I can't remember ever making a real pie crust before.  I probably have, but a long time ago, maybe?  Anyway, I'm excited because it looks really great, but looks can be deceiving, and I haven't tried it yet. 

It's been really fun, but I'm sure by tomorrow night I'm going to be thoroughly tired of peeling peaches.

2 comments:

  1. I was a total slacker and didn't get there until 10:30 and by then, they were turning people away. The kids were able to pick one peach and then we left. Glad you nabbed some. I think the Hummels came home with boatloads too!

    ReplyDelete