Sunday, April 11, 2010

I have sink full of dishes waiting to be washed, so...

... I think I'll waste some time on the computer instead.

I love to eat at Benja.  Mmmmm.... just thinking about it is delicious.  One of my favorite things is the mango sticky rice.  The other day I got it into my head that I should try to make some.  I checked out a few different recipes on google, and it turns out that it couldn't be easier to make.  Seriously.  And all I needed to buy was a mango and some coconut milk.  Plus, I think it ends up costing about $1 per portion, instead of and arm and a leg.  I thought I'd share the recipe I tried, since it was so easy and turned out so well. 

You need some cooked rice.  I don't know how much.  Maybe like 2 cups (cooked, not raw).  In the future, I plan to just make this on nights I'm making rice for dinner, and just cook a little extra rice.

On the stove, toss a can of coconut milk into a pan, and add 3/4 tsp salt and 3 or 4 Tbsp sugar (I think the exact measurement was 3 2/3 T... I tend to not measure very exactly, so...)  Heat that up until all the sugar is dissolved.  Then pour 1/2 to 2/3 of this mixture over your cooked rice, and let is sit for a minute to soak it up.  You don't want it to be soupy, just enough liquid to saturate.  Then mix and tsp of cornstarch with a little water and add this to the remaining coconut sauce in the pan, and heat it until it is thickened a little.  Put some rice on a plate next to some slices of mango, and pour a little of the thicken sauce over the top.  So good.  So easy.   The recipe did give the caution that this isn't really a "make ahead" type of dish, though I'm sure you could cook the rice ahead of time.  The recipe specifically said not to try to refrigerate and serve later.  Anyway, best dessert ever.  And I'm sure you could sub other sweeteners for the sugar if you are trying to avoid refined sugars. 

So there you have it.  My new favorite dessert of the moment. 

4 comments:

  1. I've made it a couple of times too when we had sticky rice with dinner. It's truly easy. I think that makes it taste better! I use an adjustable measuring cup, pack the rice in, and then pop it out onto the plate. That way the rice is in a nice round shape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmm....this looks better than the recipe I used, though that one was easy as well. I might have to buy another mango.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am inspired to make some mango with sticky rice soon. Thanks! By the way, I recently learned how to make some awesome Ricotta cheese.

    ReplyDelete