Saturday, July 7, 2012

I have other things I need to blog about, but all of those things involve pictures, or getting pictures off cameras, or getting pictures from other people (like if you are me, and you don't actually take any pictures at your own kid's baptism).  Instead of all that jazz, I just have a little story about today.

This evening, we took a quick jaunt to Red Cliffs.  I should have known better.  My children were complainers the entire time.  I think they still haven't recovered fully from the super late fourth of July night.  And really since then it's been late nights too.  Anyway, they complained a lot.  The entire hike, Frank just kept asking why we couldn't just turn around and go home and play Nintendo.  So fun.  It makes the beautiful scenery that much more beautiful when it is accompanied by never ending whining.  Anyway, when we go to the second (at this time of year) cesspool, there were some little toads by the edge.  Frank climbed down near the edge to look at one, and eventually it hopped into the pool.  Frank got bored and was trying to climb back up to where I was standing, but he didn't choose his path very well.  He tried to navigate a little section of slick rock that was entirely too steep, and ended up sliding into the cesspool.  Lovely.  It was at the spot right where the water pours in (at other times of year), so it was very deep right there, over his head in fact.  He was pretty shocked, and at that spot, there really wasn't anything to hold on to or a place to climb out.  Luckily, my brother's girlfriend's daughter (she's 12) was right next to where he fell in, so she tried to help him out.  He's a wiggle slippery little guy, so he slipped out of her grip and went under again, but the second time around, Nicole was able to pull him out.  (Thankfully, she didn't end up in the pool with him.)  Poor kid.  No one want to swim in that water...  at least not when it is stagnant.  When he got back over to me, I told him that his wish came true, and we didn't have to hike anymore, we could head back to the car.  He scraped up his wrist when he fell in, so we got to listen to him howl and moan on the hike back.  There is nothing like hiking through sand when you are soaking wet.  We found a spigot back at the campground, and got his shoes cleaned off, found a band-aid for the wrist, and all was (mostly) well in the world.  It was pretty exciting.  I was just glad I didn't have to jump into the cesspool to save him.  I think maybe I would have left that to Aaron, had it been necessary. 

Another exciting day in my life.  After all the drama, we stopped for frozen yogurt.  All that means is that it ended up being another late (10:30 pm-ish) night for my kids.  Summer makes it so hard to keep on a schedule.  Even when I try to get Elise to bed on time, she just looks at me like I'm crazy and says,"Mom, it is still daylight in my room, how to you expect me to go to sleep?"  Maybe the solution is really dark curtains.  It's just summer, right?  Who cares if we are on any sort of normal schedule? 


1 comment:

  1. LOVE those stories. It's really hard to keep a normal schedule in the summer. We try to put Benji to bed at a normal time (8:30-ish), but I'll routinely hear him talking to himself until 10-ish. Whaddya do?

    ReplyDelete