Our power went out last night around 11, just as I was going to bed. It was off for about an hour. When it came back on, I had to run downstairs and turn off all the lights that I had inadvertently left on. Then I went back to bed. Around 5 this morning, Aaron and I both woke up because we were freezing. Our house was a cool 60 degrees. I guess the power outage caused some sort of problem that left the A/C running constantly. I fiddled with the thermostat to try to get it to turn off, but nothing seemed to be happening. So I went to lay back down for a minute, because sometimes it takes a few minutes for the A/C to stop running. A few minutes later, it started to smell like that smell when you use your heater for the first time in the winter. So I felt up by the vent, and sure enough, hot air coming out. While I was glad the A/C was no longer running, I was not super keen on the heater running either. I fiddled with the thermostat some more (there's only so many switches to try), I ultimately ended up just flipping the breaker on the whole HVAC system. Hopefully that's an okay thing to do, but I really didn't want the heater on. (Or at least my rational half didn't want the heater on. It was 60 degrees after all, and I was freezing.) Add blankets, back to bed. I fiddled with it a little more this morning, but if I turn the breakers on, the furnace and/or A/C just start running. I'm thinking maybe the power outage caused the thermostat to go bazerko? Who knows. It's times like this I'm glad I rent, and that I have good landlords, who I now need to call. Fun times.
UPDATE: I left the breakers off on the whole HVAC system all day. I wasn't home because it was my first day of school (no pictures to follow). When I got home at 4, my house was still a very reasonable 75 degrees, which I was happy about, but which also might give you an indication of just how freezing cold it was in my house that morning. My landlord had arranged for someone to stop by between 4 and 5 to fix it. I thought I'd just fiddle with it some more, so I flipped the breakers back on, and super magically it seemed to be functioning perfectly again. I tested it a little (raised the target temp to see if the A/C cycled off, lowered the target temp to see if it cycled back on, etc.), and it seemed to be working. So I cancelled the HVAC guy. No problems since. I promise I'm not crazy. It really was broken. It wasn't working, and then it magically was. Maybe having the power off all day reset the system or something weirdo like that? I don't really care the reason, as long as it works and my house stays cool.
MX Race in Mesquite
5 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment